Monday, November 12, 2007

Dustin AL Top Rookie!

Red Sox - Second Baseman - Dustin Pedroia was voted American League Rookie of the Year today. Dustin obtained all but 4 of the first place votes available. Japanese Pitchers - Dice K & Okie Dokie were in the top ten vote getter for AL ROOK!

By Ben Walker

AP Baseball Writer / November 12, 2007

NEW YORK --Dustin Pedroia won in a runaway, just like his Red Sox in the World Series. The little Boston second baseman with the big swing was an easy pick for AL Rookie of the Year, while Ryan Braun barely edged Troy Tulowitzki for the NL honor Monday.

Generously listed at 5-foot-9, Pedroia became a fan favorite at Fenway Park with his all-out style. Plus, few knew he played with a broken left hand down the stretch.

"Everyone doubted me at every level I've been to, saying I'm too small, I'm not fast enough, my arm's not strong enough," Pedroia said. "There's a lot of people that have stuck by me and knew deep down in, that there's something about me that makes me a winning baseball player."

Pedroia hit .317 with eight home runs and 50 RBIs. He got 24 of the 28 first-place votes to outdistance Tampa Bay outfielder Delmon Young in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

No comments: