Sunday, December 23, 2007

In Memory of Dapper!


Many say this is the end of an ERA! Yes - it is. I am speaking of - the passing of one great Bostonian Albert L. "Dapper" O'Neil. I met Dapper long time ago in another century. He was a brash outspoken and sometimes abrasive public figure. Dapper always spoke his mind and stood for the working class people of this City - no matter what their race.


He ran for and won a seat on the Boston City Council 16 times - while I ran and lost twice. Councillor O'Neil took me under his wing during my campaign for Council in 1979. I was 25 then and learned a great deal about the behind the sense of government. The lessons I learned from Dapper during that campaign are forever etched in my memory. Over the years we developed a tremendous friendship.


Dapper was a man's - man! He always stood by me in my efforts to promote quality amateur baseball thru the Mill Stream and Yawkey Leagues.


Councillor O'Neil's final years out the public eye may have caused many to forget about him. He will be buried as a WWII Hero with full Military Honors on Christmas Eve. Dapper has been missed in City Hall. I will miss his calls and conveyance of advice and good wishes.


Good bye my good friend! Your historic service to the people of Boston will long be remembered!

No comments: