Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Baseball Head Junkets to Houston, TX



Boston Baseball Head Takes Houston By Storm

I just returned from a 6 day -- 5 night stay in the deep south. Houston Texas and the Houston Astros were my destination for 5 great baseball games. I seemed to bring the Astros some luck. They won the Thursday game June 26 over their Texas counterparts - Texas Rangers. The 'stros took 2 of 3 from the Red Sox during their exciting weekend series. I also saw the LA Dodgers game and the Astros prevailed in that encounter.

The Sox lost 2 one run games while at Minute Maid Park - that set off a 5 game losing streak. It also dumped them out of 1st place in the AL East - 3 games back of the icy hot Tampa Bay Rays.

Minute Maid Park is a gem of a ball yard. It is KEWL! 72 degrees inside while it is in the mid to high 90's out of doors and very humid. The customary ball park fare is enhanced by wide comfortable concourses - many rest rooms and 24oz cans of your favorite domestic and imported amber colored beverages.

Parking is cheap on week days. I paid $5 across from the Stadium on Thrusday (July 26). The price went to $15 - $30 for prime spots for the Sox games. But the price was relaxed for the Dodgers' game to $7 and $10 in many lots on Monday.

There are two tremendous Sports Bars across the street from Minute Maid. One is the B.U.S AKA the Bar at Union Station and the Home Plate Sports Bar. Home Plate sports quality memorabilia and pub grub. The B.U.S. is a converted ware house that is humming before and after the games with young Houstonians and visitors.

Astro Fans were friendly to Red Sox fans. In fact they went out of their way to be nice to me on many occasions. I met dozens of great folks from all over America, who speak well of our home town and their sports teams. The only negatives I hit were many comments about the Pat's and Spy Gate! They think the Pat's are a shady team -- go figure -- we are close to Cowboy Country!

I will post more pics (I took 514) later on the Blog. If you have an opportunity to visit this modern metropolis and its sports facilities jump on it. I had a ball and will return again someday!

4 comments:

K. said...

Great pix of David Wells! What was he doing in Houston? :)

K. said...

P.S. Are you this Dave McKay?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/mckayda01.shtml

The Boston Baseball Head said...

I am that Dave McKay YES that is ME the Boston baseball head LOL! I am better looking than David Wells BTW!

The Boston Baseball Head said...

I am that Dave McKay YES that is ME the Boston baseball head LOL! I am better looking than David Wells BTW!